Monday, August 18, 2008

Morality vs Integrity (We all need help...including me!)

Its a bit ironic writing this as i am so far from perfect. I battle with honoring physically what i promise verbally daily. Its true, I tell people i will call them back; knowing I wont. I promise to do certain things...knowing that i have prior comitments. Its tough! Lord help! Anyways...
I recently participated in a panel discussion for young leaders in Detroit. As the discussion developed we started to talk about the morality and integrity in our current political leaders. As we discussed, many of the panel members were using the words morality and integrity as interchangeable. I politely interupted and informed them that these two words are different. Allow me to explain.


Morality, is something that we learn. Either from the Bible, friends, parents or leaders. I will even go as far as to say that it actually is written on our hearts from when we were very young. Integrity however is something that needs to be developed and tested over time. Morality speaks to what we believe and Integrity speaks to what we do with what we believe.


Integrity means that what we believe (morality) and what we do are "Integrated" together. So as you go through your day, make a concerted and purposeful effort to watch, guard and develop your integrity. Make an effort to do exactly what you believe. Follow your convictions. Let your yea be yea and your no be no. Look at your words as comitments to only be given to those who are worth it!


- The Righteous Hipster

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walt! I see you too are in the blogosphere! Nice spot you got here. Swing by and check out mine. I'll add you to the blogroll.

Steve "The Czar" Patton

Anonymous said...

my bad, my blog addy is czarthoughts.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Walt!

Anonymous said...

Very Well brought out.. Do you think that integrity is the manifestation of morality. Because integrity is what you do when you know through your morals of what is right. Man this is a good blog. The illumination is very steep.